December 6, 2009

Sometimes there's too much silence

The other day I posted a link on my Facebook page to a particularly appropriate entry at a Twitter feed that I follow called "shitmydadsays":

"I just want silence. Jesus, it doesn't mean I don't like you. It just means right now, I like silence more."

Most days, that's very much how I feel.  I'll babble a blue streak when the occasional mood strikes, but most of the time can't deal with the constant sharing of personal drama and empty, void-filling talk that so many people seem prone to.  It's amazing, though, to think that such verbal diarrhea could be considered a luxury, to realize that there are still places in this world where one has to be careful of their speech and where communication is a controlled, limited thing.

I have a friend blogger who lives in Iran.  Remember Iran?  It was much in the news just a few short months ago, when incumbent leader Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was re-elected through a seemingly fraudulent process.  Protests erupted immediately throughout the country, and the government responded just as quickly to shut down both foreign news media and internet access.  What's surprising is not so much that speaking out against the elections led to many Iranian citizens being arrested, or worse.  That's still almost an everyday occurrence for peoples such as the Tibetans and Uygurs. The amazing aspect to this particular government crackdown is that much of the news that did make it out into the international press came via Twitter. 

Hard for us in more democratic countries to imagine, huh?  My friend, who goes by the intarwebs pseudonym of human being, is a teacher and a poet with a beautiful voice who speaks words that make one think, words that should be shared.  These days, though, those of us who follow her never know when she'll be able to gain access to the 'net to communicate with us.  Most of us spend hours a day on the intarwebs, both at home and at work.  Those with less easy access can still go to places, libraries, etc, and get on a computer that allows us entry to the World Wide Web.  Stop and think for a moment about those words, separately and then together:  World. Wide. Web.  It's sobering and disturbing to think that some of us, grown adults with something worthwhile to say, are not allowed such access out of the fear that we might gain a measure of freedom.
    

hb, if you have the opportunity to see this, I hope you don't mind me sharing your latest words.


sometimes i've got so much to say that
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooi keep silent

sometimes i shout so loudly that
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooono one hears me

sometimes tomorrow is so far away that
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooosoon is yesterday

sometimes you are so close that
ooooooooooooooooooooooooi can't think of you...


Originally posted at Thus Spake the Crow, Sunday, December 6th, 2009.



4 comments:

  1. my dearest KaliDurga...

    you are a true friend... you became my voice when i was silenced...

    fortunately it didn't take long... when you resist, the enemy is frightened... think my people could frighten the enemy...
    :)

    this post means a lot to me... there is nothing more precious than the moment when you feel you are understood...

    also i'm very happy these words were resonating in your beautiful soul...

    i love you... and love is understanding...

    namaste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to see you, hb :D I'm very glad that this latest absence was short-lived and I hope that it stays that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it may seem funny but here you cannot be sure even of the next minute!
    :)

    love and peace to you

    ReplyDelete
  4. That doesn't surprise me. The fact that people are protesting is wonderfully encouraging, but there is certainly a long and difficult road ahead, against very dark, very strong forces. You already know that, of course, so I say it more for the benefit of others who might read this, in the hopes that they will pay attention to what's going on.

    Please stay safe, my friend.

    ReplyDelete